Sunday, December 21, 2008

Here we are, mere Days from Christmas, and I feel like I've been hiding in a darkened room for a month and a half... oh, wait- I have been in a dark room for a month and a half, the first two weeks in a basement (which, though technically not dark, was definitely without any hint of natural light) and the rest backstage, lit by blue light and sequin-flashes.

I can't say I have not felt the Christmas spirit- one tends to get a lot of Christmas spirit when working a Christmas show- but I have definitely already felt my share of the Christmas spirit by listening to people who have come to feel like family performing the same twenty-or-so Christmas ditties for 23 performances over 15 days. We have three performances left before we roll up the dance floor, literally and figuratively, and move on to the rest of the new year that we call "life."

We just put the decorations on the Christmas tree before sending the girl off to bed at her new show-friendly bedtime of 11pm and now I sit here at my computer feeling a little nostalgic for the years of my life when Christmas meant getting to slow down. My life as a Costumer/Wardrober is more fulfilling- especially due to the fact that no one gets to force me to do Algebra or take Gym, but there is something to be said for being off work with the rest of the world.

I feel like the best way to convey my schedule is to tell you to imagine that you are an accountant, and put Tax season in December, along with Christmas. That is my typical Christmas season these days. I work for all but four hours between the hours of 9am and 11pm,Tuesday through Sunday, and two of them I spend buying fast food and eating it. Monday is the day I only work 8 hours...That is the most literal picture of my November and December that I can give you. All the while coordinating schedules for naps and dropping off the girl at the grandparents' house for (thank God) free daycare.

All three of us are in Yuletide this year ( or rather, they are onstage and I am backstage for it) so at least that means that I get to see the hubby and the girl for about 30 minutes over the course of my work day, so that at least is a positive.

I spent last Thursday away from the girl in order to get Christmas shopping done, and this Monday I will spend the day before 3pm either cleaning or procrastinating cleaning since we are having the in laws over to our house for Christmas... and even though it means I have to clean like mad, at least I can sit on my couch for the first time in a month and a half!

Despite all this, I am thankful for all that this year has brought me, and I will spend a great Christmas day relaxing in my slippers and thinking of the blessings this year. I hope no less for all of you!

Merry Christmas, and here's to an unbelievably fabulous 2009!

No comments: